Send Snapshot link texts to all primary caregivers from Session Prep
In the sessions where Snapshot is featured, use a button in Session Prep to send Snapshot entry links by text to all primary caregivers in the selected group.
Send the texts at the appointed time in the session or after the session so that caregivers receive all relevant instructions prior to completing the assessment.
Tips for special situations:
If you need to email the link or send the text to just a few specific parents, or if you forgot to send on the date of your session, you'll need to use the Snapshot screen for your group instead.
1. Open Session Prep for your session.
Open Session Prep in LENA Online at the appointed time in the session, just after the Snapshot instructions are reviewed.
Exception: If you are unable to open Session Prep without displaying it to the class, complete these steps immediately after the session to avoid showing sensitive individual data to everyone.
2. Click the Send button for Snapshot texts.
The button is available only when the current session includes Snapshot. If the button is no longer available, use the Snapshot screen method instead.
3. View and confirm the number of texts that will be sent.
This corresponds to the number of primary caregivers with texting enabled.
LENA immediately sends a text to each primary caregiver who has a valid texting number. The text contains a secure link that is specific to the caregiver's child.
Caregivers then click on the link and use their smart phones to fill out the Snapshot. Click here for an overview of what the parent sees.
Troubleshooting and FAQs
Click on any scenario for recommended actions.
You can send the individual link via email, or provide a paper copy and enter it into the system manually.
The text message goes to whoever is marked as "primary caregiver" on the participant's screen, so as long as that is properly configured before Session 1, everything should go smoothly. That being said...
In cases where the family feels that the Session 1 text has gone to the "wrong" caregiver for any reason (literacy level, primary language, familiarity with the child, etc.), then that recipient should ignore the text. You will then:
- adjust which caregiver is primary in LENA Online to best meet the family's needs, and
- either resend the text to that individual or give them a paper form to fill out
If the midpoint or final Snapshot text goes to a different caregiver than the one who filled out the first, these same steps apply.
It is critical for valid data collection for the same caregiver to complete the Snapshot each time. To help with this, the system sends the Snapshot text message to the caregiver who is listed as "primary" on the participant's screen.
Session 1 Snapshot:
- If the primary caregiver is not in attendance for Session 1, then he or she will need to learn about the Snapshot and how to complete it. Ideally, send the session makeup video content and check in to be sure the instructions are clear. If a "non-primary" caregiver happens to be in attendance, this person should not complete the Snapshot during the session, but you can encourage them to remind the primary caregiver to do so.
Midpoint and final Snapshots:
- If a family is absent from the session entirely, the primary caregiver will still get the text and can complete the Snapshot. You can remind them in your makeup session.
- If a "non-primary" caregiver happens to be in attendance, this person should not complete a paper Snapshot during the session. Encourage them to remind the primary caregiver to click on the link in the text they received within the next day.
Provide a paper copy of the Snapshot form at this session, and the caregiver can ignore the text link when they return to their phone.
Provide a paper copy of the Snapshot for the caregiver to complete.